Monday, May 9, 2011

I Wanna Be Sedated

Things have been INSANE lately.

Firstly, a wave of intense severe weather hit my area, complete with many tornados, vast destruction, and a massive power outage for the entire northern half of my state. I was at work when it happened and thankfully, I was okay as well as all of my friends (although two friends had extensive damage to their house, they made it through unscathed - and so did their beautiful kitty!). The next few days were surreal and crazy and I ended up evacuating to my grandparents house in South Alabama with my family in order to have a hot shower and some sanity. Because of that, life has taken on an element of odd. Also, I have worked insanely long days - 12, 14, 16 hour days. Thankfully, the company that I work for took really good care of us - they provided food and clothing and gas, and provided assistance to those of us that lost all of our cold food. It was great to see the community truly pull together and help each other in this time of disaster. Of course, there were a few crazies and rude people, but as a whole the entire community was really appreciative and willing to help each other out. It's nice to know that humanity isn't all rotten apples, right?


One of my favorite things to do at my grandparents house: have a big meal outside on the porch with a Miller High Life (my grandfather's favorite beer) and chat with all the members of my family (or those important people who feel like family).


Beautiful lilies growing at my grandparents old house. Lilies are my favorite flower because they remind me of my great-grandmother, who had a big impact on my life. Every time I see a lily, I think of her and it makes me smile.

A dead tree at my grandparents old house. The kids decided to push it over, until they realized it was infested with ants and ran away screaming. This is right after we encountered a HUGE rattlesnake in the yard!

The beginnings of chicken marsala. I have been trying all kinds of chicken marsala recipes lately, trying to find the right one. Unfortunately, none have been on par with the chicken marsala that my paternal grandmother made, and I cannot ask her about it since she passed away. This rendition was the closest, though. I'm getting closer!

This picture was taken the night of the storm, before we realized the extent of destruction and damage. Work was slow (which rapidly changed), so we were playing hacky sack next to the pineapple!

WATCHING: The 10th season of "Friends"! I love "Friends". It is my favorite show, ever ever ever and I never get tired of watching it.

READING: "Flapper" by Joshua Zeitz. It's a really great book, especially since I am currently enthralled with all things flapper at the moment.

WEARING: Pajamas. Again. Later I will be wearing my classy work outfit. But I have this new cotton dress that I can't wait to debut!

WANTING: to hang out with a few dear friends that are going to be in town for the next few weeks. I can't wait to see them!

LISTENING: James Brown, Stevie Wonder, Prince.

-B

Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

1 comment: