Saturday, July 9, 2011

Nice to Know You

Well, hello! It's time to brush off the old blog. Unfortunately, I have had a series of events in my life that meant that there was no way I had any time for anything besides potentially sleeping.

Since my last post, I came home to find my apartment condemned, got a concussion, and got a new job. Yeah. Not to mention all the little stuff happening in between.

That's right, my super cool downtown apartment has been condemned. It always had its' fair share of quirks and weirdnesses, but apparently it had one too many when the city came to inspect it. I came home from work and there were signs every where that said it was condemned and illegal to occupy. Cool. Therefore, the last week and a half have been spent scrambling to find a place in the same price range in the same neighborhood - no easy feat, since all the college kids are coming back home. I finally found one yesterday and put down a deposit. It's bigger than what I have now, although it does not have the pretty view of downtown. It does, however, have a community cat named Carl, REAL heating and air (oh my!), and a kitchen that more than one person can fit in. It also doesn't have some of the character of my old building, but that's okay. At least I had the chance to experience it for awhile.

The concussion? Well, a friend had recently turned 21, so we took him out to experience the non-existent Huntsville nightlife. Let's just say that at the end of the night, I ended up holding open a window, and then the window fell on my head and gave me a concussion (which I did not even realize until the next morning).

The job? Another coffee gig. However, this one is more in line with my idea of a coffee shop. Wide variety, roast their own beans, make sandwiches and pastries and WAFFLES (!), etc. It's only part-time right now, because I really need to save up some money since I was not prepared to be moving on the fly. My first shift is tonight, we'll see how that works out. Hopefully it's good!

Here is my life of the past few weeks in photos:

A surprisingly mild stout, this was enjoyed on a friends' couch watching Modern Family. I'm totally okay with that.

A Mambo Taxi from a local Tex-Mex restaurant gets the thumbs up seal of approval from my dinner companions.

When I visit the flea market, the food is my favorite part. Here I am devouring an ear of corn slathered in butter and cajun seasoning - divine.

My haul from the Nashville flea market. From left to right: Avocado honey (you will see an avocado theme in my life), bbq sauce to die for, hot chow chow for my mom (she loves it on peas), and peach honey. I told you it was all about the food.

Fresh guacamole! My boss loves it and we had a Mexican themed potluck at work one night, so I made her a small bowl of it. Yum.

Here is also something I made: it may look disgusting, but it tasted great. It had beans, corn, bell pepper, onions, tomato, AVOCADO, lime juice and olive oil. It was a great vegetarian option for taco fillings!

The inside of a perfect avocado, my new love.

Avocado tea! Just kidding. I did buy some loose-leaf from a tea store in Nashville, and it is DELICIOUS! I just wish it wasn't a million degrees outside and that I actually wanted to be drinking hot tea right now.

My two kitties loving on each other. How sweet.

This is the morning after the concussion. Apparently, someone decided it was too hard to deal with a belt, so they just threw it in the toilet.

Thrift scores! These were both $1. So for $2, I got ALL of this Italian cookbook knowledge. Be jealous.

Another thrift score. It went from this....

...to this!

All it needed was a little silver polish.

It shines like a star now.

Hopefully, I will be moved into the new place by next week, and I can give you guys a look at my new house! And don't fret, I'm still in the process of getting a new dslr. One day, these blog posts will not have to consist of lame cell phone shots.

-B


No comments:

Post a Comment