Monday, July 11, 2011

A Few Minor Indulgences

As a newly graduated, single, non-professional young adult, it probably goes without saying that I don't have a lot of extra cash lying around. In fact, about 99.5% of the time, this is ridiculously evident in my day to day life. However, just because I am low on funds does not mean that I can't have a few indulgences. Some are free, some are cheap, and some are special just to me. Here is a list of a few indulgences that I partake in on those days where I need to reward myself for being a pretty good kid.

1.) Getting my eyebrows waxed.
You may laugh at this and say, "Ha, an eyebrow waxing? Really?" but it's true. I hate plucking my eyebrows; it hurts and takes forever and I always do it wrong and my poor eyes water for hours afterwards. Instead, I can go to my preferred little salon, pay $7 (well, $10 with a tip... they take care of me), and walk out in 15 minutes feeling like a million bucks. I probably don't look it, because around my eyes is all red and slightly greasy from that stuff they use to get the extra wax off with, but I feel great.

2.) Going to the library.
I love books, always and forever. The library is a guilt-free indulgence. I know that I can go in there and spend hours looking at different books, checking out exhibits, sitting in their broken-in leather chairs and I'm not running up credit card debt. I can read books that are not easily accessible, or brush up on local history. Our library even has a pretty well-stocked foreign movie section (although admittedly, I have spent a lot less time in this area since I've gotten Netflix). I can waste a couple hours in the library and walk out so happy, not to mention fueled with some good reading material.

3.) Going to the thrift store or a used book store.
This is another thing I love to do. Going to the used book store means that I will almost definitely spend a little bit of money, but I'm okay with it. Going in the thrift store means that I may discover hidden treasure (see last posts' thrift scores), but what I really like to do is look at the stuff and imagine what kind of person owned it before it came to the thrift store. Little old lady? Die-hard liberal? Punk rock musician?

4.) Making myself a new mix cd.
This may seem old school, but my car's cigarette lighter has bit the dust and I can no longer listen to my iPod in the car. Therefore, I am reduced to CD's and the radio. Spending a few minutes to make myself new mix cd's makes me so happy, I can barely wait to jump in the car and drive somewhere and revel in the coolness of my new cd. I also love it when I find old mix cd's (which I just did and I am SO SO SO excited about! These are like 7 years old!) and when people give me mix cds... hint, hint.

5.) Driving home the long way so that I can enjoy a prettier view.
There is a very direct way to get from my work to my parents' house. There are also a few other ways that use back roads and take a lot longer. Some days when I have time or need to clear my head or want to finish listening to that rad mix cd, I take the long way home. I feel like I could just keep driving and it would be okay. That sort of freedom is what keeps me grounded.

What are some of your indulgences?

-B

1 comment:

  1. I indulge in getting my legs waxed...because that REALLY takes forever. Let's have a thrifting date soon, please?!?!

    ReplyDelete